Ellen Yi-Luen Do is a professor in the School of Industrial Design with joint appointment at the School of Interactive Computing at Georgia Tech. She is the ID faculty coordinator for the multidisciplinary (IC/Psy/DM/ID) MS HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) program.
Before joining Georgia Tech in 2006, Do was on the faculty at Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Washington. She works and teaches on Design of Interactive Environments (e.g., Happy Healthy Home and Design Games) and Computing, Creativity and Deign Cognition.
She is a recipient of ACADIA Award for Innovative Research and ADVANCE Woman of Excellence Faculty Award, and research grants from NSF, VA, KIAT, ADRC/ACTSI, CHS, HSI, GTRC.
While serving as Co-Director for Keio-NUS CUTE Center, she secured S$14.5M grants from NRF and multinational corporations. She received her master’s degree from Harvard Graduate School of Design, and a Ph.D. in Design Computing from Georgia Tech.
View Do's full CV
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, USA, 1992-1998
- Master of Design Studies, Harvard University, Graduate School of Design, USA, 1990 -- 1991
- Bachelor of Architecture (Honors), National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, ROC, 1983 -- 1988
- A brief summary of research interests on Design Computing.
Edited Volumes and Refereed Book Chapters (Selected)
- “Proceedings of the 2015 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Creativity and Cognition (C&C ’15),” June 22-25, 2015, Glasgow, UK, conference chair Tom Maver, II, program chair Ellen Yi-Luen Do, ACM Press ISBN: 978-1-4503-3598-0, http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2757226, 404 pages.
- “Proceedings of the 6th Augmented Human International Conference (AH ’15),” March 09-11, 2015, Singapore, conference chairs Suranga Nanayakkara, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2735711, ACM Press, ICPS: ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (228 pages) ACM ISBN 978-1-4503-3349-8
- “Clock Reader”, Ellen Yi-Luen Do and Hyungsin Kim, in the book "Designed Technologies for Healthy Aging," edited by Claudia B. Rebola, page 78-81, Morgan & Claypool Publishers
- “Proceedings of the Second International Symposium of Chinese CHI,” April 26-27, 2014, Toronto, conference chairs Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Wei Li, http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2592235 ICACHI International Chinese Association of Computer Human Interaction (120 pages) ACM Press 978-1-4503-2876-0
- “Intelligent Interactive Technologies and Multimedia: Second International Conference, IITM 2013, Allahabad, India, March 9-11, 2013. Proceedings, edited volume by Anupam Agrawal, RC Tripathi, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, MD Tiwari, 2013, Springer Publisher, http://library.wur.nl/WebQuery/clc/2026691
- “Designing Interactive Computing for Happy Healthy Life” Ellen Yi-Luen Do, 2013/1/1, chapter for the book, Intelligent Interactive Technologies and Multimedia, P. 1-13, Publisher, Springer Berlin Heidelberg. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-37463-0_1
- “Happy Healthy Home,” Ellen Yi-Luen Do and Brian D Jones, chapter for The Handbook of Ambient Assistive Technologies for Healthcare, Rehabilitation and Well-being, J. Maitland (ed) IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Volume 11, 2012, pp. 195-210, DOI: 10.3233/978-1-60750-837-3-195 IOS Press
Refereed Journal Articles (Selected)
- “Digital Lollipop: Studying Electrical Stimulation on the Human Tongue to Simulate Taste Sensations, Nimesha Ranasinghe, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, in ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (TOMM) Volume 13 Issue 1, Article No. 5 ACM New York, NY, USA doi>10.1145/2996462
- “Virtual ingredients for food and beverages to create immersive taste experiences: The sensation of taste as an electronic media” Nimesha Ranasinghe, Kuan-Yi Lee, Gajan Suthokumar, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, in the Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications, 1-19, Springer, online Jan 6, 2016, DOI> 10.1007/s11042-015-3162-8
- “La forma de las actividades humanas en el espacio: hacia un análisis espacio-temporal en la arquitectura,” Paula Gómez, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Mario Romero, De Arquitectura Vol 26:11-19, Aug 13, 2014, http://www.revistas.uchile.cl/index.php/RA/article/viewArticle/32550 or doi>10.5354/0719-5427.2012.32550
- “Evidence-based design of healthcare facilities: opportunities for research and practice in infection prevention” Craig Zimring, Megan E Denham, Jesse T Jacob, David Z Cowan, Ellen Do, Kendall Hall, Douglas Kamerow, Altug Kasali, James P Steinberg, 2013/5, in Journal of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, Volume 34 Issue 5 Pages 514-516,
- A Theoretical Framework of Design Critiquing in Architecture Studios, Yeonjoo Oh, Suguru Ishizaki, Mark D. Gross, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, in Design Studies, Available online 25 September 2012, Vol 34 (3): 302-325, May 31, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2012.08.004
- “Quantifying the Artistic Experience with Perceptive Sketching Tools: Cognitive Technologies to Support Creative Researchers,” Nicholas Davis and Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Comunicação e Sociedade 22, 76-95 http://www.lasics.uminho.pt/ojs/index.php/comsoc/article/download/1275/1217
- “Home-based Computerized Cognitive Assessment Tool for Dementia Screening”, Hyungsin Kim, Chih-Pin Hsiao, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, JAISE IOS Press, pp. 429 - 442, DOI 10.3233/AIS-2012-0165 http://iospress.metapress.com/content/t62j422j6804/