As an assistant professor in School of Industrial Design, Wei Wang brings industrial experience and cultural diversity to the industrial design program at Georgia Institute of Technology. In the fusion of user-experience, human-computer interaction, and interactive products, his research interest is on the interactive technology and smart product design in applications such as self-driving cars and virtual reality, and how they interact with different communities.
Before joining the Georgia Tech faculty, Wei led the Human-Centered Research at Media Lab (Shenzhen), Hunan University, and was a visiting scholar at Queen Mary University of London on Media and Art Technology. He also worked in the Nokia Research Center from 2008 to 2012 in Beijing and Shenzhen. As a design lead, Wang contributed to emerging devices, new user interfaces, and product strategy in growth markets.
He has been granted more than 17 US/EU/CN patents in gesture interaction and mobile service. These patents have been applied in consumer products by Nokia and Microsoft (some of them are still quite active in industries, cited by Amazon, Apple, Samsung and Google etc.). Due to the successful technology transfer from his team’s ethnographic research and patent inventor, he received a Nokia Annual Achievement award in 2010.
Wang is a member of IDSA and ACM SIGCHI, and received his Ph.D. in design in 2008.
- Ph.D. in Computer Aided Industrial Design, Hunan University, 2004-2008
- M.A. in Ergonomics, Hunan University, 2001-2004
- B.E. in Industrial Design, Hunan University, 1997-2001
- Assistant Professor -- School of Industrial Design, College of Design, Georgia Institute of Technology, Nov. 2016 – Present,
- Visiting Scholar -- MAT Program Coordinator, School of Electronic Engineering & Computer Science (EECS), Queen Mary University of London (QMUL), Jun. 2014 – Jun. 2015
- Senior User Experience Designer -- Nokia Research Center, Apr. 2008 – Nov. 2012
- Human Machine Interface and the Immersive Simulation Method in Various Autonomous Driving Conditions. Georgia Tech & UISEE, 2017 – Present
- User Experience Design of Interactive and Smart Products. Georgia Tech & Midea, 2017 – Present
- New Channel Program: Designing and Making Across Cultures. Hunan University, 2013 – 2017
- Emerging Market User Experience. Nokia Research Center, 2009 – 2012
- Voice and Multimodal User Interface. Nokia Research Center, 2008 – 2009
Wei Wang's Google Scholar
Wei Wang's Research Gate
- ID 3501 - Interactive ID Studio 1
- ID 3510/8803 - Interactive Products
- ID 2510 - Intro to Smart Product Design
- ID 6213 - MID Graduate Studio 2 Interact Product